Thursday 22 March 2012

Morning Rhythm

Cal and I differ in that I am a night owl and late riser, whilst he prefers an earlier night and is then ready to rise with A soon after dawn. It's always worked well, especially with me breastfeeding lots through the night. I'm grumpy in the mornings if I get woken too early.

This routine has always worked for us, however I do often get up to a chaotic house, with everyone running late and not dressed. I've tried leaving clothes out for the kids but they are happy to sit with cal in their pj's until the last minute, eating breakfast in the lounge as it's warmer in there, and then last minute dash to get washed and dressed before school.
By chance, I woke up early one day last week and set the table for everyone to have breakfast together like we do at the weekends. It was great, and much calmer too. I asked everyone to bring clothes down to warm on the radiator while we enjoyed a pot of tea, juice, hot cross buns, cereal and toast. Even little c joined us. The kids like it and want me to get up for an early breakfast every day, so I'm giving it a go. So far I've yet to get the early night and C is still breastfeeding many times a night, so I feel knackered, but they love the family time and get to practise their mealtime times tables and extra time each day too....result.
We are starting with basics, the threes, as they are both good at the two's already. I've written them out on a large card that is pinned on to the wall beside the table. We ask them
three each before and then after dinner. They can look at the board for the answer but must repeat the whole sum back to us. After a week or so I will turn the card over and do them for another week without it before going on to the fours.it's working well I think.

Tonight I went for the run, it was a gentle start and we are going again in a few days.I look forward to getting fit and eating freely!

No comments:

Post a Comment